Tackling the problem is climate change is no easy feat. The problem itself is complex and deeply rooted in our societal systems and it requires collective action. However, here are some small individual actions we can all do to live more sustainably and foster a healthier relationship with our planet. Remember that the world needs everyone to live more sustainably within their means, so start with these small steps while working towards a better future.
- Use as much natural lighting as possible, turn off the lights in the day and open up your blinds instead. If you can, invest in dimmer lights for nighttime usage.
- Switch out old light bulbs for LEDs.
- Unplug your appliances, this includes chargers, extension cords, kitchen appliances when you aren’t actively using them.
- Recycle your batteries! Just take your AA, AAA, computer, and tablet batteries to your local Best Buy or Staples.
- Switch to e-bill & e-notices.
- Ask for emailed receipts at stores and restaurants.
- Replace your AC filters every 6-8 months.
- Seal cracks in your windows and door frames to make your insulation more effective.
- Stop using plastic bags and opt for reusable ones. Make it a friendly competition between family and friends.
- Set the thermostat “home” and “away” functions.
While all these steps seem relatively small, they add up to a significant decrease in energy usage. Incorporate these in your daily routine and you may even notice a decrease in your monthly energy bills! This is a key component to reducing our carbon footprint and lessening our emissions.
Keep on keeping on,